Student Science Safety Contract – Salem Junior High School
Science is a hands-on laboratory class that has potential hazards. We will use some materials and equipment that may be dangerous if not handled properly. Safety in the science classroom is an important part of the scientific process. To ensure a safe classroom the following rules must be followed at all times. Additional safety instructions will be given for each activity.
1. Conduct yourself in a responsible manner. Horseplay, practical jokes, and pranks will not be tolerated.
2. Follow all written and verbal instructions carefully. Ask questions if you do not understand the instructions.
3. Do not touch any equipment, supplies, animals, or other materials in the science room without permission.
4. Perform only authorized and approved experiments.
5. Wear safety glasses or goggles when instructed.
6. Clean all work areas and equipment at the end of the experiment as instructed.
7. Immediately report any accident (fire, spill, breakage, etc.), injury (cut, burn, etc.), or hazardous condition (broken equipment, etc.) to the teacher.
8. Consider all chemicals used in the science room to be dangerous. Do not touch, taste, or smell any chemicals unless specifically instructed to do so.
9. Treat preserved specimens and dissecting supplies with care and respect.
a. Do not remove preserved specimens from the science room.
b. Use scalpels, scissors, and other sharp instruments only as instructed.
10. Do not remove chemicals, equipment, supplies, or animals from the science room without permission.
11. Use extreme caution when using matches, a burner, or hot plate. Only light burners when instructed and do not put anything into a flame unless specifically instructed to do so. Do not leave a lit burner unattended.
12. Dress properly—long hair must be tied back, no dangling jewelry, and no loose or baggy clothing. Wear aprons when instructed.
13. No eating or drinking during lab activities.14. Learn where the safety equipment is located and how to use it. Know where the exits are located and what to do in case of an emergency or fire drill.
STUDENT SAFETY CONTRACT AGREEMENT
I, _____________________________________________, (student’s name) have read and understand each of the safety rules set forth in the Student Science Safety Contract. I agree to follow them to ensure not only my own safety but also the safety of others in the science classroom or laboratory. I also agree to follow the general rules of appropriate behavior for a classroom at all times to avoid accidents and to provide a safe learning environment for everyone. I understand that if I do not follow all the rules and safety precautions, I will not be allowed to participate in science activities.
Dear Parent or Guardian:
We feel that you should be informed of the school’s effort to create and maintain a safe science classroom/ laboratory environment. Please read the list of safety rules. No student will be permitted to perform science activities unless this contract is signed by both the student and parent/guardian and is on file with the teacher. Your signature on this contract indicates that you have read the Student Science Safety Contract, reviewed it with your child, and are aware of the measures taken to ensure the safety of your son/daughter in the science classroom.
Parent/Guardian Signature___________________________________________________________ Date___________